This was me: in the grocery store, after watching a guy lick a pineapple. I was standing in the produce aisle with a head of radicchio in my hand and a far off look in my eye and then this barn-raised-moron picked up a pineapple and licked it. Actually I take it back. That’s offensive to anyone associate with a barn. This self centered flea brained nitwit licked a pineapple. The man standing next to me looked on in horror and I cracked a really dumb Harry Potter joke that may or may not have gone over like a lead balloon before reporting his barbaric behavior. I was taught that snitches get stitches but this went beyond the pale.
In my imaginings, where my recipes come from, I was going to use pineapple but as previously stated, there was a clear omen that this ingredient was not in the cards. What if this cad licked all the pineapples? I used pears instead and am glad that did. Pineapple? Riddikulus!
And clearly J.K. Rowling deserves some credit here.
This will serve four as a main dish.
- salad bowl
- half head butter lettuce
- 1 head raddichio
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham I used sweet coppa
- 1 cup Manchego shaved
- 2 pears peeled and chopped
- 1 cucumber peeled and cut into half moons
- 8 radishes washed and thinly sliced
Pear Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 1 pear peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 shallot peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves only
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- Wash and dry lettuce and mix in bowl.
- Peel the cucumber and slice in half. Slice further into half moons
- Wash and thinly slice radishes
- Dice ham
- Peel and dice pears
- shave cheese thinly
- Throw pear, mustard, olive oil, shallot, thyme and vinegar into blender and blend for two minutes on high speed.
- Toss into salad and serve immediately