Pasta Puttanesca is one of the best dishes with one of the worst names. It’s origins are considered colorful to say the least and the same can be said for my sense of humor. While coming up with this recipe I had a “hold my beer and watch this” moment and decided to up the ante by adding calamari and naming it something outrageous. Creating recipes comes easily to me: but writing descriptions, dear readers, there are days….
Enough about my character flaws and back to the food. This is briny and fiery and sweet and salty and everything just this side of bawdy. I dare you to get it out of your mind.
- 3/4 pound calamari
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/3 cup capers
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives pitted and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb fettucinne
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 shallot peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp anchovy paste
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- Bring a salted pot of water to a boil
- Wash and stem the spinach and set aside.
- Peel the garlic and the shallots. Thinly slice. Chop the olives
- Slice the calamari into rings
- Cook pasta according to instructions
- While pasta is cooking, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a deep pan
- Saute the garlic and the shallots for about 5 minutes, until the shallots start to turn translucent
- Add the olives and the capers and give another good stir
- Reduce the heat a bit and crush the tomatoes into the pan, add the remaining juice from the can and the red wine
- Stir in the anchovy paste and the red pepper and let simmer for a couple of minutes
- Quickly add the spinach and stir constantly to wilt it. Throw in the calamari and cook for about 5-7- minutes until the rings firm up
- Drain the pasta and put into a large bowl. Top with the calamari mixture and grate some Parmesan on top and dive in to the deliciousness
Calories: 624kcal | Carbohydrates: 91g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 297mg | Sodium: 952mg | Potassium: 1044mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 8304IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 6mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!