Black Bean Fiesta Soup
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 16 oz bag frozen sweet corn
- 3 – 15 oz cans of black beans – rinsed and drained
- 1 – 15 oz can of black eyed peas – rinsed and drained
- 2 granny smith apples – peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 large yellow pepper – diced
- 1 large red pepper – diced
- 1 poblano pepper – diced
- 2 jalapeños – diced
- 2 cups cooked diced ham
- 1 – 32 oz box chicken broth
- 1 small yellow onion – finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks – diced
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- *2 teaspoons of ground chipotle powder *optional if you want extra heat*
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 small can whole plum tomatoes – smushed
In the bottom of a heavy pot, heat olive oil. Add celery, onion, garlic, and all peppers and lower heat to medium. Cook for five minutes- stirring occasionally. Cover with a lid, lower heat to low and cook another 5 minutes.
Add 2 cans of black beans and 1 can of black eyed peas. Smush the tomatoes into the pot and add the juice from the can. Add full box of chicken broth, salt, pepper, chipotle powder, oregano, thyme, apples and 1/2 the bag of corn. Cook over low/medium heat for 20 minutes until simmering.
Puree 3/4 of the soup in the blender and add back to the pot. Add the remaining can of black beans, the remaining corn and the ham.
Cook over medium heat until simmering (about another ten minutes)
Makes a large batch for dinner and plenty of leftovers to freeze.
Serve with sour cream
Magilla rating: 10.5
Mom rating: 12
Mrs. H rating: 9