Ginger Peach Ice Cream
One of my favorite things about summer is the fruit. The gorgeous colors and the lush aromas convey sunshine and warmth. New Jersey has some of the best produce around and is one of the reasons I love my home state.
Don’t get discouraged by the cooking times as most of it is inactive.
- ice cream maker
- double boiler
- Heavy Pot
- 3 quart pot
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 large bowl for ice bath
- 3 peaches
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 four inch piece fresh ginger peeled
- 4 egg yolks
- In a heavy pan, add peaches, 1 tbsp sugar, lemon juice and tsp of table salt. Simmer low heat 20 minutes.
- Set aside to cool
- In a separate medium pot, add heavy cream, 1 cup of sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and star anise and bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer for five minutes then set to side to steep for 45 minutes
- Return to low heat. Warm slowly until about 140 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, beat 4 egg yolks. Take 1/2 of the warmed milk mixture and add to egg yolks in a continuous stream and beating constantly. Mix thoroughly but gently and return to the pot. Mix completely and heat slowly to about 170 or until it coats the back of a spoon.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl and set in an ice bath to cool. Cover completely and refrigerate for at least six hours. Chop the peaches to your taste and refrigerate as well.
- Churn for 20 to 30 minutes, adding peaches about halfway through churning process.