Sweet onions and butter infuse the fish with a dreamy, herby, delicate flavor.
- 1 large sweet onion - cut into slices like Vidalia, Maui, or Walla Walla
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- kosher salt if desired you can skip this since salted butter is being used. I added a tiny amount with the pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine I used Rodney Strong 2019 Charlotte's Home Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 1/3 lb halibut steaks cut as uniformly as possible
- 1 tsp Meyer Lemon Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Seven Barrels
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Trim the ends from the onion and remove peel. Cut into thick slices
- Heat the pan on high heat. Add 2 tbsp butter and lay onions in a single layer
- If desired, rinse the fish. Pat dry. Season generously with fresh cracked pepper. If desired, add a little kosher salt
- Lay fish steaks on top of onion slices. Add wine and rosemary sprigs. Lower heat slightly. Top with the last of the butter.
- Baste the fish with the melted butter and add lemon juice
- Carefully put pan in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until a sharp knife easily goes through filet
- Carefully remove from oven and baste with juices again. Drizzle with a little bit of Meyer Lemon Olive Oil to tastes.
We exclusively use Archar Seafood on Hamilton Street in Somerset, New Jersey for our fish.
Serving: 302g | Calories: 603kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 58g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 208mg | Sodium: 402mg | Potassium: 1597mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 918IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!