Mussels in Ginger Guinness Cream Sauce
This appetizer is a huge hit with seafood fans. It’s easy to make and can be served in the cooking pot with a beautiful loaf of bread to dip into the sauce.
- vegetable scrubbing brush
- 5.5 quart heavy bottomed pot
- bottle opener
- 4 pounds mussels
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 11.2 oz bottle Guinness Stout
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 2 shallots large, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pieces ginger peeled, 1 inches long each
- 1 loaf crusty French bread
- Scrub mussels with brush. Discard any that are broken. If they are open, tap lightly on the counter. If the mussel is good, it will close. Discard any that are questionable.
- Peel ginger and cut two pieces, each one inch long
- Peel and coarsely chop shallots
- Melt butter on high heat, and add olive oil
- Toss ginger and shallots into pan. Cook on high heat until nicely browned (about three minutes) Leave in pan for flavor.
- Add the full bottle of Guinness
- Add mussels and the water and place lid over the top of pan. Stir when needed to expose mussels to heat. Cook on high heat for about five minutes.
- Mix mustard into heavy cream and pour the mixture over the top of the mussels. Mix to coat and cook another minute.
- Serve with French bread
If any of the mussels do not open after cooking, discard.
Calories: 577kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 130mg | Sodium: 851mg | Potassium: 651mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1181IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 9mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!