I often have salads for lunch. They’re convenient, portable, healthy and can be made ahead. This salad is great as a side or top with some salmon or chicken for a full meal.
I use my Shallot, Orange and Molasses Vinaigrette on this and it’s fantastic.
- 1 Strainer
- 1 Paring knife
- 1 15.5 oz can chick peas
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 cup farro
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cucumbers seeds removed
- 1 blood orange
- 1/2 cup olives i used a mix of kalamata and cerignola
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- Peel cucumber and scrape out seeds. Coarsely chop
- Wash kale and dry well, Remove ribs and cut into strips
- Coarsely chop kale and let sit on a towel to dry while working on the rest of the salad
- Rinse chick peas and dry on towel
- Rinse farro and add to pot with two cups of water, some salt and olive oil1 cup farro, 2 cups water, 2 tsp kosher salt, 1 tbsp olive oil
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for twenty to twenty five minutes
- Remove pot from heat and let cool
- Segment the orange and cut into chunks
- Assemble the cooled farro on a plate, add the kale, orange, chick peas, feta, olives and cucumbers1 15.5 oz can chick peas, 1 bunch kale, 2 cucumbers, 1/2 cup olives, 1/2 cup feta cheese, 1 blood orange
Salads are my favorite lunch. I make enough to pack some lunches for the office for a few days. Just keep the oranges and dressing separate until you are ready to serve.
Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 1114mg | Potassium: 322mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2346IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 150mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Greek Style Kale, Farro and Blood Orange Salad