Is there anything better than a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter’s day?
From start to finish this takes about 50 minutes and the bulk of the energy expended is chopping all of the veggies. It’s easy and delicious. Enjoy!
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 leeks
- 3 carrots
- 2 32 oz chicken broth
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 8 Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 2 cups milk
- 8 oz no fat cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- 6 slices rye bread
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp onion salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Cube the bread and spread out on a baking sheet
- Sprinkle with olive oil, garlic powder, onion salt and paprika and toss to coat
- Bake at 425° for ten minutes, turning half way through
- Set aside until soup is ready
- Peel carrots and dice
- Wash the leeks, remove the top and bottom and slice
- Wash the celery and dice
- Dice the onion
- Peel the potatoes and cube
- finely mince the rosemary and dill. Keep some dill fronds to the side.
- Put a bit of olive oil in the bottom of a heavy stockpot
- Sauté the onions, leeks, carrots, celery and potatoes. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Cook for 10 minutes
- Add rosemary and dill and both containers of chicken broth and bring to a low boil
- Simmer for 20 minutes on low heat. If needed, add the rest of the salt and pepper.
- Raise the heat to medium and add the cream cheese and milk, stirring well to melt the cream cheese
- Cook for another ten minutes on medium heat until thickened
- Dice the salmon and generously top the soup with salmon, croutons and some fresh dill
Calories: 329kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 1923mg | Potassium: 1136mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5168IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 221mg | Iron: 7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!