My grandmother was an avid baker; and was never more in her element than in her own kitchen. She lived in the next town over and we spent every Saturday night together, chatting, eating, cooking, and laughing; followed by her tucking me into bed with a prayer and a bedtime story. There was no place on Earth that felt better.
There a few things in this life that are certain. Water is wet. The sky is blue. Laughter bonds us. And that butter and eggs and sugar and flour, mixing and churning and baking together can turn your kitchen into an olfactory embrace.
Servings: 24 bars
- 11x17 Pyrex dish
- 1 small bowl
- 1 cup butter softened and cut into 1 inch pieces plus 1 pat for greasing
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup almonds finely chopped
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups quick cook oats
- 10 oz marmalade
- Preheat oven o 350°
- Grease an 11x17 baking dish and line with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and brown sugar together. Add eggs and beat for two minutes until smooth
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the sugar mixture. Stir until thoroughly blended
- In a small bowl mix the almonds, ginger, apricots and marmalade together
- Pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the dish. Flatten as much as possible into the corners of the pan. Trim the parchment paper until it's about an inch over the top of the pan. Spread the marmalade mixture over the bottom layer and top with the remaining oatmeal mixture. Work slowly and wet fingers if necessary to flatten the top layer completely from edge to edge.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack and lift out of dish and onto a cutting board.
Calories: 211kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 238mg | Potassium: 69mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 236IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!