Farro with Apricots and Pistachios
Good morning Darlings,
You can’t get any easier than this quick and yummy side dish. It pairs well with pork or chicken. I use this with the Brown Sugar Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Cranberry Gravy as a side.
** Please if you or anyone you are feeding has a nut allergy, do not use. Let’s be sensible folks.
- 1 cup farro
- 1/3 cup dried apricots finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios coarsely chopped
- 1 shallot finely minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups water
- Peel shallot and mince
- Chop apricots (fine to medium) and pistachios (coarse)
- Rinse farro under cold water and strain
- A good rule of thumb is that for every cup of farro, you use two cups of water, so in this instance, add one cup of farro to a pot and two cups of water and a teaspoon of kosher salt
- Bring all to a hard boil, then reduce to low-medium heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Once the farro is cooked, take the pot off heat and let sit for 5 minutes to absorb any excess water
- Toast the pistachios lights in the pan with olive oil for 3 minutes, add shallots. Cook for another 3 minutes. Add apricots in the last 30 seconds.
- Stir apricots, pistachios and shallots into the farro and serve