My New Year’s resolution was to revisit the things I didn’t like in childhood.
I’ve learned that I like hard boiled eggs, but hate (read as I will run screaming and as if I’ve been physically assaulted by a spider) runny yolks. I’ve learned that I could eat chicken biryani and anything tikka masala by the gallon every day and still not get bored. Who knew? I now know that I will never like liver and that I love big, fat, raw red onion on salads. In short, I’m learning what my grown up palate is.
I used to hate lentils. I thought they were mushy and inedible, but it turns out, I’d just never had them prepared correctly.
- 2 pounds salmon
- 2 lemons 1 zested, 1 thinly sliced
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 shallots thinly sliced
- 3 tsp cumin divided
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt divided
- 2/3 cup dried apricot finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 cup French lentils
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Put baking sheet in oven to heat
- Rinse salmon and pat dry, season generously with sea salt and pepper and set aside
- Rinse lentils and add to 1.5 quart pot with 2 cups of water and tsp of garlic powder and 1/2 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for about 45 minutes
- Peel and thinly slice shallot
- Finely chop dried apricots
- Thinly slice 1 lemon and zest the the other. Cut that lemon in half for juicing
- Peel and mince the ginger
- Rinse rice and place in 3 qt pot with 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Pull baking tray out of oven (please use oven mitt) and drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil on. Place shallots and ginger on tray and bake for 5 minutes.
- Pour lemon juice on salmon and coat with two tsps of cumin
- Once shallots have softened, take 1/3 and move to the side of the baking sheet. Place the salmon skin side down on top of the remaining 2/3 of shallots. Top salmon with sliced lemons
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until it flakes easily with a fork
- Once the salmon is baked, remove from tray and set aside. Leave the shallots
- Mix the cooked lentils with the rice and stir gently to combine. Add the last teaspoon of cumin and season with a little salt if desired. Add the apricots and lemon zest and combine. Add the 1/3 of shallots that were moved before baking the salmon and a drizzle of olive oil and fold in.
- Serve immediately and ENJOY!
Don't think you have to babysit this meal. It's not very work intensive. Drop me a line and let me know what you think!
Calories: 624kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 50g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 125mg | Sodium: 982mg | Potassium: 1568mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 891IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!