Today I’m making one of our favorite dinners here at Chez Magilla, Roast Chicken with Honey and Lemon and what goes better with a classic roast chicken than a simple fresh salad? And what goes better with a nice salad than….croutons!
I hate wasting food. I had a stale loaf of Italian bread staring me down. It waved it’s hands and said “Whatchu gonna do?” Well. not really but you get the gist. Knowing a yummy salad was in my future, I opted to re-purpose my tired bread into delicious croutons.
This is certainly not complicated but it that little bit of zhuzh that all cooks look for.
I hope you enjoy them!
- cube bread according to your own preference. Some people want big slabs for soup. Some smaller bites for salad. I can go with either and love slabs of this slathered with goat cheese and radishes...but I digress. For crouton purposes, I cubed
- Preheat oven to 375°
- in a 3 quart pot, melt butter. Add canola oil and truffle oil and swirl until butter is fully melted
- add herbs de Provence and combine fully into butter mixture
- add cubed bread and coat as much as possible by folding into the butter mixture
- pour onto baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, turning every five minutes until it reaches the desired level of color you'd like. I do mine for 20 minutes