Red Lentil Soup with Farro and Turkey Sausage
This soup is great to make in big batches and freeze. It serves about 8 as the recipe is written, but is easy to double.
- Immersion Blender
- 5.5 quart heavy bottomed pot
- vegetable peeler
- 3 cups soaked red lentils
- 2 small onions chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 carrots medium sized, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups chicken broth divided
- 2 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 lemons
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup farro
- 3/4 lb turkey sausage casings removed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp tahini heaping
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- olive for sautéing
- Soak lentils in a bowl of cold water for 1 1/2 hours
- Rinse farro and place in a pot with two cups of water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Once boiling lower heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While the farro is cooking, remove turkey sausage from casings and sauté on high heat until fully cooked. Set aside
- Peel ginger and garlic. Mince. Peel onions and chop. Peel carrots and chop
- Heat oil in a heavy pot. Add ginger, garlic and onion. Cook over medium heat for about five minutes
- Add the carrots, tomato sauce and one cup of chicken broth. Cook on medium to low for another 10 minutes
- Add cumin, paprika and chili powder and tahini
- Add one cup of chicken broth and two cups of vegetable broth. Add lentils and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice. With the immersion blender, puree the mixture until smooth. This took me about 5 minutes with a 2 speed immersion blender.
- Once the soup is smooth, add the turkey sausage and the farro. Simmer just long enough to make sure everything is warm.
Calories: 448kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 1032mg | Potassium: 1090mg | Fiber: 27g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 5644IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!