This was my first foray into air frying. I had tried this recipe twice in the oven and loved the flavor, but I couldn’t get the crisp skin the way I wanted. Enter – a sale at Macy’s on air fryers. The key to getting the crispiness desired is to shake the chicken every 8 to 9 minutes to distribute it in the air fryer.
I couldn’t be happier with the results and I hope you are too.
- Air Fryer
- Large Ziploc bag or a large bowl
- 6 bone in chicken drumsticks
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- Grate the lemon zest
- Mix together cumin, garlic powder, seasoned salt, smoked paprika and pepper and lemon zest
- Pour spice mixture into a Ziploc bag or a large bowl and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Rinse drumsticks and pat dry with a paper towel
- Add drumsticks and toss (if it looks like it's not coating properly, add second tablespoon of olive oil. If using the Ziploc bag (the method I prefer), the shake vigorously and massage the spice into the chicken.
- Set air fryer to 400°
- Cook for 25 minutes, tossing every 9 minutes
- Let sit for 5 minutes, then serve
I typically double the recipe but I find that about 5-6 pieces at a time work best in the air fryer
Calories: 498kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 19g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 209mg | Sodium: 1402mg | Potassium: 567mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 369IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!