We are trying to do some more Meatless Mondays at our house. This is filling and hearty, but not heavy.
- large bowl
- 5.5 quart heavy bottomed pot
- medium sized pot
- slotted spoon
- 1 lb dried cannellini beans
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1/2 cup fresh thyme sprigs
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 2 shallots peeled, and end trimmed
- 3 preserved lemons seed removed and coarsely chopped
- 9 cups water divided
- 3 cups baby arugula packed
- 1 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 6 eggs
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- In a large bowl, add six cups of water and dried beans (should be enough water to cover beans)
- Soak for eight hours (I changed the water after four hours, but this is optional)
- Drain beans
- Chop celery
- Peel and trim shallots
- Chop preserved lemons, removing seeds and set aside
- In a heavy pot, add beans, celery, shallots, rosemary and thyme sprigs, vegetable broth and 3 cups of water
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 1 hour
- Add preserved lemons and red pepper flakes and simmer for another 1 1/2 hours or until beans are fork tender. Add the arugula and stir to wilt. Take off heat and set aside
- In a separate medium sized pot, bring water to a low boil. Add salt and vinegar
- With slotted spoon, stir water until a small funnel appears in the middle. Crack eggs into a small bowl (I do them individually, because in spite of having a food blog, I haven't mastered making multiple poached eggs at the same time)
- Get the small bowl close to the water and drop into the center where the swirling is from the slotted spoon.
- Gently stir to set egg. Poach for about 3 minutes.
- Ladle out the beans into a bowl and top with poached egg (remove gently with slotted spoon).
Calories: 144kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 164mg | Sodium: 1247mg | Potassium: 208mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1249IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 122mg | Iron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!