I cannot take full credit for this recipe. I learned this basic format years ago and it’s never failed.
Whoever you are that so generously gave the tip to freeze the scone dough, you’re a genius.
- 8 oz unsalted butter very cold, cut into cubes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries washed and dried
- 2 tsp lemon zest heaping / divided
- 1 cup heavy cream divided
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- Cut ice cold butter into cubes ( I swear by Kerrygold for scone baking)
- Blend together with a pastry cutter until it looks like little peas are forming. Don't overwork the dough. Freeze for 10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Take bowl out of freezer and add most of (about 3/4 cup) of the heavy cream. Mix gently.
- Fold in the blueberries and 1 tsp of the lemon zest
- Make a cross out of wax paper and cover the bowl. Gently tip over the bowl with the wax paper on the top. Fold the sides up and mix the dough with your hands for about 30 seconds. Be very gentle.
- Spoon the dough into a scone pan and gently pat into the corners. Drizzle the remaining cream on top.
- Add 1 tbsp of demerara sugar
- Top with remaining lemon zest.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Let fully cool before removing from the pan.