I haven’t been ignoring you. I really haven’t.
Okay, I have been ignoring you and I’m sorry. In real life, where I’m expected to work full time, we moved offices and anything that could go wrong – did. I was not cooking and I have to say, I felt a little rusty when I donned ye olde apron and hairband this week.
But I offer you this to make up for my absence.
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup quick cook oats
- 2 bananas very ripe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tbsp demarera sugar enough for dusting tops of scones
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Mix together baking powder, oats, sugar, salt and flour in a large bowl
- Cut the butter into small pieces and mix together with a pastry cutter until it just starts to come together. It will resemble little peas
- Freeze the mixture for 5 to 10 minutes. I don't remember where I found this tip, but if I ever meet the person who invented this tip I will kiss them on the forehead
- While the bowl is in the freezer, mash the bananas
- Take the bowl out of the freezer and add the coconut, nuts, and mashed bananas
- Swipe a scraper around about 5 times to fold the mixture together
- Add the heavy cream and the buttermilk and scrape again another five times or so. It will be crumbly. DO NOT BEAT this mixture
- Place a sheet of parchment paper or waxed paper over the top of the bowl and turn upside down into the parchment/waxed paper. Fold the paper around the mixture and knead very gently a couple of times. I use a cornbread pan to bake scones, but you can form them by hand if preferred
- Brush the tops with buttermilk and dust with demerara sugar
- Bake for 22 minutes or until the edges pull slightly from the pan and nicely browned. Be sure to test with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, it's done
Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 337mg | Potassium: 222mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 262IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 128mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!