Cucumber and Red Onion Salad
This is nothing new under the sun. I think I read somewhere that the original recipe for this was created by Eve or her great granddaughter.
Please don’t Google that. I’ll admit now that it’s not true.
What is true is my adoration of cucumbers. This is my rendition, in the last days of summer and the life span of my herb garden, of an old favorite
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 cucumbers peeled and sliced paper thin
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch truffle salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 bunch oregano washed, dried and finely chopped
- In a medium sized bowl, mix sugar, pepper and two types of vinegar. Dissolve the sugar into the vinegar by whisking for a few minutes.
- Place the half of red onion, flat side down. Slice lengthwise in half again, and then thinly slice horizontally
- If using the mandolin, and I cannot stress this enough WEAR GLOVES. If you are like me and love a challenge or an opportunity to focus your mind away from the daily grind, take your time and thinly slice the cucumbers.
- Add the sliced onion and the cucumbers to the bowl with the vinegar. I season slightly in layers (thirds) with the truffle salt and the pepper.
- Add oregano and mix
- Chill for at least one hour. I usually make this in the morning and let it sit in the fridge for the day. It's best served very cold.